6D and 6S
Our teachers are Mrs Dhami and Ms Spencer
Our teachers partner are Mrs Bivens
Welcome to the Year 6 class page!
This is where you will find all of the key information regarding the year. We will also use this platform to keep you updated with key messages. There is so much to look forward to; undoubtedly we have high expectations and there will be a lot of hard work involved. However, we ensure you that we will have lots of fun along the way! Please use the link below for an overview of the curriculum covered. Should you have any questions, concerns or anything you would like to discuss in relation to your child’s development, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 6 team. We are always happy to help.
Mrs Dhami and Ms Spencer
- 6D will be taught by Mrs Dhami
- 6S will be taught by Ms Spencer
- Please remember to bring a filled water bottle.
- Homework will be sent out on a Thursday, and is due back in on the following Wednesday. This year, we will set homework through the CGP books. Please encourage your child to continue to read regularly (a minimum of four times a week) at home to help build their stamina for reading. Reading diaries are monitored and checked daily so please ensure this record is kept up to date and in school every day.
- Children are expected to log into Times Tables Rock Stars three times a week. This is to support fluency in multiplication and division.
- Children in Key Stage 2 are encouraged to bring in a healthy snack for break time (fruit and vegetables only please).
In English, we have been studying ‘Shackleton’s Journey’. We have developed our knowledge of the expedition that Shackleton endured and used this as inspiration to write our own endurance narratives.
During our Art Lessons, we have explored the technique of pointillism through the work of George Seurat. We practiced representing objects through pointillism – tiny dots of various pure colour which then become blended by the human eye through the science of optics. We will be combining this with what we have learnt about Mayan folk art and patterns to create a final piece.
We have learnt a new mathematical concept – long division! We are becoming more confident in using and articulating the method out loud and have used this to support us in answering word problems.